When It comes to Survival You must equip yourself with light and easily portable tools that will come handy even If you are a newbie to the wilderness. The reason may vary from natural and man-made disasters Such as flood, Avalanche, landslide, earthquake. Or, You are an outdoor freak like me who just wants to go into the wilderness to get away from the chaos and Pollution of the urban environment. Whatever may be the reason, you Always want your backpack to be light and equipped with the most important things to help you. We will discuss top 10 survival tools that should be placed in your backpack.
Your Priority in the wilderness
- Fire: Fire is one of the most important stuff when it comes to Bush-crafting. It helps you protect from Cold, wild animals. Fire gives you light to save your batteries for the worst. It helps you cook your food so that you don’t have to be Bear Grylls to eat raw meats.
- Water:: You don’t want to keep yourself thirsty in the middle of nowhere, right? So you need the regular supply of drinking water.
- Food : You might not have a KFC or McDonald Store nearby , So You will need tools to make it easy to find edible veggies or meat .
- Shelter Building : Sleeping under twinkling Stars may seem fascinating , but not when you have it with heavy rainfall, mosquitoes and flies. So you must prepare a quick shelter to keep you protected.
- Communication: If you are stuck in dense forest or on a part of the hill due to landslide or snowfall , It may be difficult for rescue forces to find you even if you are close to them , So you may want to have signalling devices. More Important to that you should have a knowledge of directions , So navigation is a key.
The List of top 10 survival tools for wilderness
Whether it be for giving signals or providing you extra visibility during night or dense forests, Flashlight can be extremely useful for you. If you are going in consider bringing extra batteries for your torch.
9. Tarp / Plastic Sheet
If You are caught in heavy rain, setting a primitive shelter of wood logs and leaves may not be sufficient to keep you safe. So getting a plastic sheet to either cover your shelter, or your backpack or even you are way too good than you think.
8. Survival Fishing kit: My Favorite from Top 10 survival tools
Fishing is the lot easier task than hunting. But you can’t fish with your hands and if you are a newbie like me, you might not know how to set primitive fish traps along rivers and streams. So keeping a few lines and hooks is a good option. You can easily assemble it with natural wooden rod and twig floats so that you can get some fishes.
7. machete or Axe
If You have one machete only you could survive in the wilderness for many days. It provides you a wide range of operations from carving, incising, cutting, making trails, scraping tinder from woods to hunting and cutting meat. This is due to its broad(14 inches in most cases ) blade and long design.
|A survival machete Illustration|
|survival Axe Illustration|
6. Mirror and Whistle
5. Water Bottle and purifier
Water Filters In Survival Situations
Water Purifiers In Survival Situation
4. Paracord: All in one member of top 10 survival tools
- rescue line
- using as a fishing line or fishing net
- making shelters knots
- emergency splint and sutures
- leaving trail marks
Survival Paracord uses are limited by only one’s imagination and experiences. There are many ways you can use them and they will not disappoint you.
3. Compass and Map: The Royal member of top 10 survival tools
Compass and maps can be used together to help you in the best way but in the worst case, they will assist you individually also.
2. Knife / Multi-tool: Most used in the list of Top 10 survival tools
1. Fire Starter: No. 1 in the List of Top 10 Survival Tools
|A fire starter rod|
- waterproof safety matches
- using a lens to make fire with sunlight
- magnesium and steel rod fire starters
- friction method of starting a fire.
- Survival medical kit
- duct tape
- solar panel for charging batteries
Also read: Most Haunted Places in India